Friday, January 13, 2012

Refocus

It was less windy today. But in spite of that fact, I've decided to refocus this adventure. I'm going to say 'refocus' in order to not feel like a failure at bike touring.

The last straw came this morning when a pickup truck full of high school kids (I'm going to assume they were high school kids, otherwise there's not even half an excuse for them) buzzed by me super fast, super close, and then threw a Coke bottle at me. Awesome.

I'm pretty tired of being stressed out and fearing for my life. I planned for this trip as best I could, but I keep running into problems (like cars) that have been really exhausting to deal with.

The second part of this adventure was to get to Austin to hang out with my good pals Mr. E and J Bone*, see the city, and enjoy the bike scene there. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to get there- with combustion engine assistance- tomorrow.

I can't help but feel like I'm quitting. I had a long talk with my better half (Seriously. Much better.) about it all. One important point that was made was if I died on this trip, she'd kill me when I got back. Another good point is that I've learned a lot so far. There are tons of things I would do differently- and how else would I have known those things had I not messed it up so badly this trip? I want to think about my learning experience for a couple more days, then I'll write a list of 'don'ts here (maybe a couple 'dos', too- it wasn't all bad...) Until then, I'm off to Austin.

*real names

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this, but life is a continuous journey with ups and downs, best to roll with it and use it as a learning experience for planning the next great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're getting in to Austin soon Em. I've been reading about your (mis)adventures with my eyes closed, if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Ben & Jerry say, if it's not fun, why do it? Spending all the time between Florida and Austin in fear of your life is NOT FUN. Plus, it's really dangerous. I hope you have a super fab time in Austin. And don't beat up on yourself, you made the effort, most folks just ride around their neighborhood and think about touring, then don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do people have to be so horrible? Glad that nothing serious happened. I wouldn't think that it is quitting more like escaping from a bad situation. Enjoy Austin it is a fun town!

    ReplyDelete