Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Why you should stop.

Welcome back fair weather cyclists! I missed you. The streets seem much friendlier now that you're back. Here's one thing I want you to think about, though.

STOP at stop lights, signs, and for ped-x in cross walks.

People, who are a lot smarter and more eloquent, than me (I?) have explained it better, but here are my two cents.

'Share the road' (while a bit overused and getting a bit watered down) really does mean something. It actually means different things for different road users. Drivers share the road by not passing too close, not honking at or harassing cyclists, and by looking out for bikes before taking turns or parking and whatnot. Drivers share the road by traveling in a way that makes the road safe for all users. I think it's easy to place all of the responsibility of sharing on the drivers shoulders, because they are the ones with the ability to kill another person with their vehicle.



We cyclists need to hold up our end of the sharing bargain. We do that by following the rules of the road. Blowing through, or even rolling through, stop lights doesn't show respect for the other road users. (Not to mention, it's not safe.) I want to be respected while I'm traveling on the road. If I expect that drivers will give me space on the road by not passing too closely, I think it's fair they can expect that I'll give them their right of way when they have the green. Here's another place where the 'golden rule' applies. Respect everybody else's right to travel safely and hassle free(ish), and they'll respect yours. Hopefully.




Now I know Massachusetts isn't world famous for having respectful, patient, courteous road users. Just because that's the reputation doesn't mean that people don't want friendlier streets. And it doesn't mean that's the way it has to stay. Someone has to get the ball rolling, so why don't we start it, by stopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment